In a shock transfer, Bhupendrabhai Patel was on Sunday elected as the brand new chief minister of Gujarat. The essential choice was taken at a gathering of BJP leaders in Gandhinagar whereby Patel was unanimously elected BJP legislature celebration chief. Patel received the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Meeting elections from Ghatlodia constituency, defeating Congress candidate Shashikant Patel by over one lakh votes, the best profitable margin within the 2017 Gujarat polls.
Patel will succeed Vijay Rupani, who resigned from his publish on Saturday, in a sudden announcement nearly a yr earlier than the state goes to polls. He’s now more likely to meet the governor and stake declare to type the federal government. Patel is more likely to be sworn-in on Monday, sources stated.
BJP had appointed Union ministers Narendra Singh Tomar and Prahlad Joshi as central observers for the legislature celebration assembly to elect the brand new chief minister. Tomar met state BJP chief C R Paatil on Sunday morning.
“Bhupendra Patel has been elected as the brand new chief of BJP legislative celebration. He shall be sworn in because the Gujarat CM quickly,” Union Minister and BJP’s Gujarat in-charge Tomar stated after the celebration’s legislative assembly.
Rupani (65), the fourth chief minister to demit workplace in BJP-ruled states in the course of the coronavirus pandemic, was sworn in as chief minister – his second stint as CM – in December 2017. He first grew to become the chief minister on August 7, 2016, following the resignation of incumbent Anandiben Patel, and continued within the workplace after the BJP’s victory within the 2017 Meeting elections.
Rupani stated Bhupendra Patel is “succesful” whereas exuding confidence of BJP’s win within the forthcoming meeting election.
“Bhupendra Patel is succesful. We imagine BJP will win the upcoming elections within the state underneath his management,” he stated.
Union House Minister Amit Shah congratulated Bhupendrabhai Patel and hoped that the state’s improvement journey will get new vitality and momentum with this choice.
WHO IS BHUPENDRABHAI PATEL
- Bhupendrabhai Patel is understood to be a protege of former chief minister Anandiben Patel.
- He’s a first-time MLA from Ghatlodia seat, which was earlier held by Anandiben Patel.
- Earlier, Bhupendrabhai Patel served as a municipal councillor in Ahmedabad. He has served because the chairman of Ahmedabad City Improvement Authority (AUDA) and used to go the Ahmedabad Municipal Company standing committee.
- He holds a diploma in civil engineering.
- In line with a political observor, Bhupendra Patel’s title was not within the lengthy checklist of probables being mentioned in state political circles and in a manner the primary time period MLA emerged because the darkish horse.
- He belongs to the influential Patel group.